Friday, July 23, 2010

Things Change

Perfection is purely temporary. Whenever we are sad, happy, serene, delighted, or shocked, we are experiencing a transient state of mind, a temporary mood or emotion. Inside our heads, we humans are on something like an endless family road trip -- always en route to another state of mind.

Life itself is not permanent. It only seems that way sometimes, and often it comes back to bite us when we assume otherwise. This week, another friend discovered that she may not be with us much longer, and that soon her quality of life may not be what anyone would wish.

This news breaks my heart, and it set me to crying many hours after she told me, despite all the hours I've spent reading about philosophy and religious faith.

I have to get past the pain, though, if I'm to be any use to her, her family, and all our mutual friends. It would be so pleasant if we could just hire someone to do the suffering for us, but that's the way people develop drug and alcohol problems. The best way to handle this, I guess, is by reading all I can about this particular kind of cancer, and doing a lot of prayer. I'll ask for comfort and strength for her, and guidance for myself, so that I can do the most good in this situation.

This looks like another one of those maturational learning experiences. I hate growing up.

1 comment:

Thanks for leaving your comments on Late for Class. Comments are moderated, so they won't show up on the blog immediately; nonetheless, I'll post them as soon as I can. I look forward to hearing from you!