Sunday, September 5, 2010

Poetry

Last spring, I wrote my first poem in 40 years, for a class project. It was interesting enough to hold my attention until I had it edited and refined. I can't say that about every news story or marketing article I ever wrote. On the other hand, it was not an award winner. Since I know where my skills and talents lie, I thought that would be my last poem for another 40 years. Perhaps, though, I spoke to myself too soon.

Since the poem was graded, someone associated with the university commented on it favorably, which was nice to hear. Then, as I was stuck in traffic one day recently, it occurred to me that I may be able to explore some of my life experiences with poetry. I'm not really at ease discussing some things in prose.

For example, I was a lot closer to the Pentagon than anyone wanted to be on September 11, 2001. Nobody needs a direct, journalistic memoir of those days and nights in the smoke plume, but perhaps I can describe it symbolically in poetry more effectively. I don't really need to publish a poem about this, or the other news stories I either covered or got caught up in, but I do need to do some work on getting over them. I can't claim that I have post-traumatic stress disorder, but I do have some ghosts to exorcise. Perhaps the exercise of writing about these events in a symbolic way will help.

So, what does this have to do with going to school, since I'm not taking any classes in how to write poetry? At every university, unlike every workplace, you're likely to find communities that are interested in reading and writing poetry. You are also likely to find small groups that are into reading and writing short stories, novels, and histories, as well as research papers. You may also find much larger groups that are into beer and hard liquor, but as usual, participation in any group on a college campus is usually somewhat optional, especially if you live off campus. Anyway, while I may not want anyone to read my poems, I certainly will be able to find someone who can help me with ideas and techniques if I get mentally stuck.

And that, my dear, is what learning at the university level is all about.

1 comment:

  1. "And that, my dear, is what learning at the university level is all about" you are spot on there!
    One regret I have about my undergrad course is that I didn't take any creative writing classes - I just felt at the time I wasn't that kind of writer. I still haven't attempted any 'writing', but am always on the look out for an informal class. Dealing with difficult memories, of which I have many, by writing poetry sounds very appealing - good luck with it. Your post has made me wonder today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments on Late for Class. Comments are moderated, so they won't show up on the blog immediately; nonetheless, I'll post them as soon as I can. I look forward to hearing from you!